Unclaimed Funds

On November 9, 2022 the Board of Directors of East Valley Water District (EVWD) authorized the CFO/Treasurer (CFO) to perform procedures prescribed in the Government Code and Code of Civil Procedure for the purpose of unencumbering stale-dated checks and keeping the related funds from escheating to the State.

Government Code §50050-50052 and Code of Civil Procedures §1502(a)(2) describe the procedure to apply to unclaimed funds that are at least three years old. The procedure involves publishing a notice about the unclaimed funds once a week for two consecutive weeks in a paper of general circulation. Any claims that are submitted as a result of the notice will be investigated and approved or rejected by the CFO. Any funds remaining unclaimed 45 days after the first publication may be transferred to the District’s general fund.

Pursuant to §50050-50053 of the Government Code, notice is hereby given that EVWD is holding $1,246.22 of unclaimed funds in its “stale-dated checks” account. It is proposed that said funds become the property of EVWD on December 11, 2023 unless an interested party files a claim with EVWD’s CFO for all or a portion thereof prior to said date. Any such claim must include the claimant’s name, address, amount of claim, the grounds upon which the claim is founded, and any other information that may be required by EVWD’s CFO. Thereafter, EVWD’s CFO will then either accept the claim if in compliance with the above requirements and the proof submitted therewith is deemed to be satisfactory, or reject the claim, and thereafter shall give notice thereof to the claimant. All funds for which a timely and proper claim has not been filed, and all funds for which a claim has been rejected by EVWD’s CFO but which is not followed by the filing and service of a summons and complained thereon within the time and in the manner required by Government Code §50052, may be transferred to EVWD’s general fund upon authorization of EVWD’s Board of Directors. 

  • List of stale-dated checks that are more than three years old
  • Form for Unclaimed Funds

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Finance Department at (909) 381-6463.